6 Household Items That Are Poisonous For Your Pup

Some items on your “pet-proofing checklist” are a no-brainer, but then there are others that may not be so obvious. We’re talking about those sneaky household items that seem completely harmless, but can actually be very dangerous for your pet if he gets his paws on them.

  1. Bread Dough – You know that chocolate and coffee is a no-go for your pup, but did you know that yeast-filled bread dough can actually be dangerous as well? When ingested, the dough can warm and expand, just like it rises when set out overnight. This can result in bloating and gastric dilation-volvulus (GDV), also known as a twisted stomach.
  2. Macadamia Nuts – These might be tasty for humans, but they can cause a variety of illnesses to occur in dogs. The most common are weakness, depression, vomiting, tremors and hyperthermia, which usually appear 12 hours after ingestion and can last up to 48 hours following.
  3. Grapes & Raisins – We bet you thought these were healthy snacks! For humans maybe, but for dogs, no. While experts are unable to pinpoint the exact toxic substance within these snacks, evidence shows that they’ve been known to cause kidney failure over time.
  4. Medications – “But it’s just a half a baby aspirin,” you might say. Still, human medications are formulated specially for human ingestion. Tylenol and Advil are huge no-nos, as are antidepressants, diet pills, cold medication and even inhalers for asthma. If your pet is feeling under the weather, it’s best to contact a vet for the proper medication first.
  5. Antifreeze – Of course, all chemical substances should be kept out of your pet’s reach (pesticides, cleaning products, etc.), but sometimes antifreeze is harder to keep an eye on. It’s not uncommon for it to leak, leaving a tasty looking puddle behind. Unfortunately, ingesting this “sweet treat” can lead to kidney failure, so make sure you’re vigilant about keeping it contained.
  6. Small Objects – Coins, Legos, cigarettes, toothpicks, hair bands, jewelry — you name it! If it’s small enough to fit in your dog’s mouth, it’s small enough to be swallowed. Think about pet-proofing your home as you would if you were baby-proofing it. Dogs are curious and can get into almost anything as long as it’s within reach.

Making sure your home is completely safe for your pet is important, but can be equally as difficult. Sometimes, no matter how hard you try to keep their paws off and their nose out of places it doesn’t belong, they’ll still find a way to get into things they’re not supposed to. When that happens, don’t hesitate to call on the expert veterinarians at Budd Lake Animal Hospital.

For more information on our veterinary services, call us at 908-852-3515 or submit a request to speak with a vet online.

Posted in ,

BLAH

Leave a Comment





Budd Lake Animal Hospital Logo

Our Hours of Operation

New Open 7 Days a Week!

Monday:  12:00 PM (noon) to 8:00 PM

Tuesday:  10:00 AM to 6:00 PM

Wednesday: 12:00 PM (noon) to 8:00 PM

Thursday:  10:00 AM to 6:00 PM

Friday:  10:00 AM to 5:00 PM

Saturday:  9:00 AM to 3:00 PM

Sunday:  9:00 AM to 3:00 PM

ASK THE VET

Connect With Us:

What Our Clients Say

Read our reviews to see if our hospital is a good fit for you and your pet.